What To Consider When Trying To Find A Bookkeeper
As a business owner, managing your finances is your top priority: and so should bookkeeping too! While finding the right bookkeeper can be a strenuous process, the effort is worth it once you see your business starting to boom. Word-of-mouth referrals are usually the best, so we suggest talking to entrepreneurs in the same business like yours for their recommendations. This is a smart move since they’re already familiar with your bookkeeping needs. The next thing you have to do is set up a meeting with applicants who fit the bill. Once the interview is arranged, you may want to consider these questions to find a certified bookkeeper who meets your requirements:
How To Look for the Perfect Bookkeeper
Educational attainment is always the first thing to consider. But when interviewing a potential candidate, you may also want to ask yourself the following:
- Have they worked with businesses in the same industry in the past?
- Are they familiar with the accounting, financial, and administrative challenges your business may face?
- Do they know the typical expenses incurred by your business?
- Do they use confusing financial jargon when they communicate financial information and ideas with you?
- Can they walk you through concepts you’re not familiar with and/or recommend good resources?
- Are you comfortable working with them online or through the phone, or you’d rather meet them in person? This is an important detail most business owners miss when trying to find a bookkeeper.
- When using accounting software, can you still gain access to your financial information?
- Do they work regular office hours?
- How can you contact them in case an emergency happens?
- How can they assure your information stays protected?
- Where will they store your financial data? Locally or in the cloud?
- How often do they do backups and on what medium?
- Will your business type and model affect how much they charge?
- How do they want to be paid? Hourly or a per-project basis?
- Does their expected salary seem fair for the amount of work they’ll be doing?
How to Work Once You Find a Bookkeeper
After finding the right small business bookkeeper, it’s time to get down to business. Develop a process that works for both of you and establish a good working relationship to get the most out of them.
Create a Universal System
We at Edge prefer going paperless when keeping business documents. Storing records in the cloud can help your office stay clutter-free, and it also ensures that your documents are easily available to you and us. This is why we choose to work with the Xero accounting software because it makes the whole bookkeeping process super easy.
A common mistake business owners do after they find a bookkeeper is to not ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask us if you’re not exactly sure what documents we need, or if there’s something in our records that you don’t understand.
While we’re the experts when it comes to bookkeeping, you’re the one who should know more about your business. So never assume. It’s completely okay if you don’t understand everything right away.
Be Timely When Submitting Records
Remember that we need your financial data to prepare your financial statements. So please submit transactions regularly and on time. This will help us stay organized and make things run smoothly.
Working with us is a sure way of saving time, money, and making sure that your business’s finances stay on track every month: and that’s just the beginning.
Find a Bookkeeper With Edge Small Business Consulting
Having the right bookkeeping services is an important part of any business. However, at the end of the day, you should still look for a bookkeeper who can tailor their services to what your business needs.
In terms of bookkeeping, we at Edge believe that no two businesses are the same. This is why we take our time to understand and evaluate your business to give the service you deserve. By knowing what your business really needs, we can help improve your bookkeeping functions and therefore, better your company’s performance.
If you’re looking for a bookkeeper for your business, your find a bookkeeper journey ends here. Contact us today and allow us to fulfill your bookkeeping needs!